When I was young, I remember the parents on the block creating a unified force to deliver their advice to us kids:
- Secure a stable 9-5 job
- Ensure you have a good pension
- Enjoy your two weeks off each year
And, many bought into this myth only to lose their unused time-off, or watched their pension crash with the market. More than anything I saw good people commit to working 40 hours a week and logging hours in overtime for which they were never compensated.
Sadly, I watched one friend play by the rules and work his ass off only to get extremely ill and die before he could enjoy the fruits of his labor.
The idea of being honest, reliable, and hardworking means giving your best to the company and hoping that you don’t get laid off or get too sick to work anymore.
Over the years, working with hundreds of private clients, I’ve asked why people have chosen entrepreneurship. And the answers vary from:
- So I can dictate my own schedule
- To have an unlimited potential of financial growth
- Because, I want to set my own vacation allotments
But at the core the answer is always the same. To gain more freedom and do life on your own terms.
With COVID19 and all the unexpected things that life throws our way being an entrepreneur can be a major challenge.
I encourage you not to overcomplicate things. And, don’t ever give up. You can create more freedom in your life, and you can become more authentic in your business.
Now is the time to get creative, up level, or downscale, but do it in a way that excites you.
Where ever you are take a moment to ask yourself the following questions:
- Are you clear on how you are creating your business this year?
- What goals you are moving into?
- What requests you are making to others?
- Celebrate the wins, continue to show up consistently and be patient.
- If you haven’t taken the time to assess your trajectory and get the support you need then there is no better time than right now.